Many people are struggling these days with Heart Burn, acid reflux or GERD. If this is you, here are some common foods that can cause or exacerbate symptoms. Try removing these foods and see if you feel better!
Foods you may want to avoid:
- Fatty and fried foods: These can be difficult to digest and can cause acid reflux symptoms to flare up.
- Spicy foods: Spices can irritate the stomach and esophagus, making acid reflux symptoms worse.
- Citrus fruits and juices: These are acidic and can also trigger acid reflux symptoms.
- Tomato-based products: Tomatoes are acidic, and products like tomato sauce, ketchup, and salsa can trigger acid reflux symptoms.
- Carbonated beverages: Carbonation can increase the pressure in the stomach, leading to acid reflux symptoms.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can irritate the esophagus and stomach, making acid reflux symptoms worse.
- Chocolate: Chocolate contains caffeine and can relax the lower esophageal sphincter, leading to acid reflux symptoms.
- Peppermint and spearmint: These can relax the lower esophageal sphincter, leading to acid reflux symptoms.
- Dairy products: These can be difficult to digest and can cause acid reflux symptoms to flare up.
It’s worth noting that everyone is different and what triggers acid reflux symptoms in one person may not affect another. It’s best to keep a food diary and note any symptoms that occur after eating certain foods to help identify trigger foods. It’s also important to work with a healthcare professional to develop an individualized plan to manage acid reflux and make sure there are no other underlying causes.