How to Eliminate Excuses
When we were kids, we could find excuses for anything, right?
For not going to bed on time.
For skipping chores.
For not getting homework done.
As adults, we’ve learned to take responsibility for our actions and failures – at least
most of the time. But there’s always a supply of excuses waiting within reach
whenever we want to use one about our health and fitness.
Not enough time.
Don’t have the energy.
Didn’t sleep enough.
Too much work to do.
And the list goes on….
So how do we get rid of this habit once and for all? Here are some of my best ideas.
1. Realize you’re actually hurting yourself when you find a scapegoat. Remind yourself that You are the one that wants this and benefits from it.
2. Let go of the persecution complex. Traffic doesn’t happen to just you. Everyone’s
boss throws a wrench in their plans sometimes. Nobody “feels like it” all the time, even
those who seem divinely motivated to make it look easy.
3. Stop comparing yourself to others. It only sets you up to feel “less than” and not
good enough, which undermines your motivation and negative self-talk.
4. Seek inspiration from others who keep getting up every time they fall. This can be
someone at work, a friend at the gym, or even a figure in fiction.
5. Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses alike. Let’s say you’re good at getting
to the gym on time, but you don’t work as hard as you want. OK – great! How can you
build on that? Work out with a friend or trainer, take a group class, or meditate for a
few moments before you walk in?
6. Repeat success. When something works for you, repeat it. Think about why – and
how you can apply the lesson elsewhere.
7. Find the deeper reason under the excuses. What’s underneath the need to make an excuse? Are you afraid
of something? Feeling insecure or intimidated? Whatever it is, a little introspection can
help identify the source, and from there, you’re closer to eliminating it.
If you want help with this, this is one of the things I specialize in. To lead to lasting results we need to get rid of the excuses at the root. I am happy to help uncover the real reasons you haven’t been successful yet and eliminate them for good. When you are ready, hit contact me!